- Heartbreaking Premiere at Hope Mill TheatrePosted 115 days ago
- JERSEY BOYS COMES TO MANCHESTER PALACE THEATREPosted 220 days ago
- CILLA THE MUSICAL CAST ANNOUNCEDPosted 267 days ago
- Undercover Festival V Lands at Dreamland MargatePosted 271 days ago
- The Most Famous Theatrical SuperstitionsPosted 272 days ago
- ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET RETURN TO MANCHESTER THIS OCTOBERPosted 272 days ago
- A STUNNING LIVE CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF WHITNEY HOUSTON COMES TO MANCHESTERPosted 272 days ago
- DIANA VICKERS TO STAR IN NEW MUSICAL SON OF A PREACHER MAN, COMING TO MANCHESTER PALACE THEATRE FOR A ONE WEEK RUN THIS SEPTEMBERPosted 352 days ago
- NATIVITY! THE MUSICAL Comes to Manchester Palace Theatre November 2017Posted 366 days ago
- Manchester Opera House Announces Purrfect Pantomime Cast for Dick Whittington this ChristmasPosted 367 days ago
Stand Up Comedy Tips
Laugh and make people laugh! Is it so easy ? How to be a comedian? Read this article and get the stand up comedy tips.
Someone once said, “Laughter is the spark of the soul.” and so with a good comedy one can burst into peals of laughter, non stop. In a stand up comedy, the comedian performs for live audience. He communicates with them directly and gears the show with his sense of humor.
The performer is known as stand up comedian or stand up comic. To make the show completely entertaining, the comedian has to be spontaneous and should possess every skill to make the audience laugh. Stand up comedy has its roots in the late 19th century, in vaudeville, music halls , minstrel shows, etc. The most popular stand up comedians of United Sates were Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Milton Berle, Fred Allen and Frank Fay. Stand up comedy shows ruled not only in the US, but all over the world. And today, the most renowned stand up comedian, Jerry Seinfeld, is ruling the telly box.
The art of making people laugh is indeed commendable. So, learn the stand up comedy tips and tickle the nerves of thousands. Tips for Stand Up Comedians To receive a handful of applause from your audience, you need to develop your skills to make people laugh continuously. Here are the tips for stand up comedy. Remember this quote, “If every word I said could make you laugh, I’d talk forever..” Right Attitude The masses shall evaluate your comedy skills. To develop a right attitude, be observant about comedy shows and performances of renowned comedians. In every performance, learn from constructive criticism. This helps to improving the performance. Do not Copy The piece of comedy should be your own creation. Never imitate others. Do not copy a joke from others or rephrase the language. Even if you do subconsciously or unintentionally, you can be caught by audiences.
You can retain your old work and try to innovate new ideas and scripts and build a solid ground for performance. Listen to Yourself Since you are a beginner, record your performance. Observe your own performance and the spontaneity in your act. This will give you the opportunity to examine yourself and make changes for future. Reflect on your performance and be a self critic to get the best out of it. Communication Skills Your thoughts, your gesture and your sense of humor must be well communicated to people. When you observe yourself on videotape, emphasize on your oratory skills. Analyze if you are speaking too fast or slow and how people are responding to your gestures. You need to study the minds of the audience as well. Observe Comedians Hang around comedy clubs, theaters and festivals to see live performances of comedians. Observe stand up comedy shows and movies.
Scrutinize their performances, observe their styles and their professional performances. This way, you can improve your skills and become a successful stand up comedian. Tips for Writing Stand Up Comedy Writing stand up comedy, needs subtle blending of goods scripts, humor and funny punch lines. The total content should be in sync with perfection. Check out these stand up comedy writing tips.
- Write down any humorous or odd event in your life in details. You can also write about any of your crazy hobbies.
- Now add jokes, funny punch lines and humor to the script. Compose the jokes that strike you and pen down immediately. You can also insert characters in your script.
- Connect ideas that are antagonistic or they can be intersection of two events, succession of humorous events and open mic events.
- Research on the comedy script and analyze visually. Improvise wherever needed.
- Memorize it well so that you do not falter during the performance. Be spontaneous and your gestures must be capable of making the audience laugh.
Catch these funny quotes of Jerry Seinfeld: You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, “See if you can blow this out”. Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge. Why do people give each other flowers? To celebrate various important occasions, they’re killing living creatures? Why restrict it to plants? “Sweetheart, let’s make up. Have this deceased squirrel”. The big advantage of a book is, it’s very easy to rewind. Close it and you’re right back at the beginning. I hope these stand up comedy tips will be helpful to you before you perform live. You need to be apt enough to understand humor and evoke continuous laughter in audiences. These stand up comedy tips were an effort to guide you, but your ability is the quintessential part of the stand up comedy. Mark Twain has truly spoken, “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter”.